Sign In

Skip to main content

The Pay Equity Office’s head office is temporarily closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, we continue to serve the public. Go to our “Contact Us” page for more information.


​Does the Pay Equity Act apply to me?

Ontario’s Pay Equity Act applies to:

  • Public sector organizations as listed in the Pay Equity Act​ and its regulations
  • Provincially regulated ​ private sector  ​​organizations with 10 or more employees
  • ​​​Full-time and part-time positions, including seasonal positions
  • Unionized and non-unionized positions except a student employed for his or her vacation period (students working part-time while attending school are covered by the Act)
  • Former employees of a workplace covered by the Act​​

I think I’m not being paid properly. What should I do?

The Pay Equity Office may be able to assist you if we are able to confirm that you are in a female job class. “Female job class" is different from the gender identity of an individual incumbent. 

It's also possible that your concern may be governed by the Employment Standards Act (“equal pay for equal work"). Alternatively, your concern may be governed by Ontario's Human Rights Code.

To get more information about the Employment Standards Act, you can contact:

Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development

Employment Standards Information Centre

GTA: 416-326-7160

Canada-wide: 1-800-531-5551

TTY: 1-866-567-889


To get more information about the Ontario Human Rights Code, you can contact

Ontario Human Rights Commission

Ontario Human Rights Legal Support Centre

How do I file a complaint (“Application for Review Services”) with the Pay Equity Office?

Fill out the Application for Review Services​​ form and submit it to​. You will need Adobe Reader XI or higher to open and complete the form. If you do not have Adobe Reader XI, you can download a free copy here.

​If you require accommodation in order to submit an application, please call or email the Pay Equity Office and we will be pleased to provide you with the Application Form in a different format.

​​Can I file a complaint anonymously?

Yes. An employee may file an anonymous application by appointing another person (called an agent) to file the application on their behalf. All communication will then be done through the agent.

Filing an anonymous complaint with the Pay Equity Office requires the following:

  1. The name and con​tact information of the individual who is filing the complaint;

  2. The name and contact information of the agent designated to represent the anonymous applicant; and

  3. ​The agent must agree in writing to represent the individual. 

An employer is entitled to know and respond to allegations being made against it. Investigation of your allegations will require disclosure to the employer of the details of allegation. These particulars may enable the employer to identify who is making the complaint. The Pay Equity Act prohibits employers or anyone acting on behalf of an Employer from penalizing employees in any way for seeking to enforce their pay equity rights.​​​